The Candian family (called Sanudo) is given credit for the construction of the Church of San Maurizio and Lazarus.
Originally the façade faced the rio Santissimo and had its small square at the foot of the bridge that still leads to Campo Santo Stefano. The bell tower was built at an angle between the campo and the calle.
The church then turned towards the right to face the vast campo from the perfectly regular perimeter.
From the 9th century until the end of the 16th century, chronicles do not give any more news about the architectural situation of the San Maurizio church, whereas the first documents, which indirectly refer to it, date back to 1088.
At the end of the 15th century the Church still had a basilica structure with three naves in clear Byzantine style, the result of an intervention carried out in the first half of the 12th century.
In the Gothic period other restorations and renovations were definately done. After many centuries of silence, documents report that the San Maurizio church had been completely reconstructed in 1580. We can assume that on this occasion, according to the new architectural theories related to the function of the spaces, the new construction had undergone a full rotation so as to line up with the front of the campo.
Recall that earlier, that is, towards the middle of the century, the ancient bell tower had been demolished to allow for the construction of the grandiose Palazzo Bellavite, whose façade facing the campo seems to have been painted by Paolo Veronese.
Dionisio Bellavite, a wealthy merchant, had in fact obtained the concession of the area and permission to remove the bell tower in exchange for paying an annual tax to benefit of the church of San Maurizio, a tax that Bellavite continued to pay in 1564.
Of the church built in 1590, we have no news nor surviving elements since in 1806 it was demolished and rebuilt according to the project of Antonio Diedo and Giovan Antonio Selva.
The current construction, consecrated in 1828, has a Greek cross with a central dome and blind hemispherical side domes. The overall design seems to be inspired by Sansovinian church of San Geminiano.
In adherence to the left side of the church the building from the School of the Albanians appears. Knowledge about the school appeared at the end of 1489 and again in 1501 and in 1502, years during which the interior decoration of the ceilings and furnishings were being completed. In 1531, a new intervention completed the façade on the calle del Piovan, which can still be seen today, adorned with elegant and well-worked carvings of clear classic-Renaissance style.
Visiting Hours: Daily 9,30 am - 7pm
Entrance fee: Free admission
Services: Museum Shop, Guided tours (on demand)
Museo della Musica
Chiesa San Maurizio, S. Marco 2603
Tel: +39 041 2411840
Fax: +39 041 firstname.lastname@example.org
(Aldo Bova "Places of music in Venice")
In 1447 they moved the School of the Albanians: the third Sunday of each month there was a musical Mass in honor of Our Lady of Shkodra.
From 1555 to 1573 Andrea Gabrieli came to live in a small house in the parish.
On April 10, 1632 the sub-diaconate was conferred to Claudio Monteverdi.
In 1819 Gian Antonio Selva, the architect of the theater La Fenice, was buried there.